By Clif Family
- ½ pound fresh beets, washed and scrubbed
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp water
- 2 oz. goat cheese, soft spreadable type at room temperature
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese, chopped
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated fine
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Clif Family Hot Sauce
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a mixing bowl add whole washed beets, oil, salt and water. Evenly coat all beets and transfer to a sheet pan topped with a large sheet of foil. Create a pouch around the beets by folding and crimping the foil to keep in the moisture as the beets cook.
- Roast the beets inside the pouch for 45-80 minutes depending on the size of the beets. If the beets are close to the size of a baseball they will require about 80 minutes of cooking time. To check for doneness, the tip of a small pairing knife will easily pierce into the thickest part of the beet once fully cooked. When done, remove from oven and open pouch.
- Using disposable gloves peel the cooled beets by rubbing and sliding off their skins. Cut beets into chunks and make sure they have cooled completely to room temperature before transferring to a food processor fitted with steel blade to chop finely. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl down during the chopping process to help ensure a more even texture.
- Once the beets have been minced, transfer into a large mixing bowl adding the rest of the measured ingredients and stirring to combine. Check seasoning, adding salt to taste, additional hot sauce for desired heat, and if need to balance with acidity add a little more lemon juice.
- Serve with toasted warm flat bread or crackers and store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator up to one week.