- 1 lb finely ground lamb
- 1 lb finely ground beef
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp Spice Tree Organics Athenian Gyro Spice
- ½ cup unflavored breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste (we like 1 ¾ tsp)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Thoroughly mix all the spices and breadcrumbs into the meat. Knead the meat mixture as you would dough for about five minutes to evenly distribute the spice and make the meat texture uniform.
- Place the meat onto a rimmed baking sheet and shape into a flat rectangular loaf that is 2 inches high. Be sure to flatten and smooth out all the edges since you will be slicing the loaf into strips.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 165 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow the gyro meat to cool for at least ten minutes before cutting so that the juices can redistribute.
- Serve with heated flatbread, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions and top with Tzatziki sauce.