By: Anarchy in a Jar
Servings: Makes one nine-inch tart
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Flour for dusting, as needed
- 1 jar (3/4 cup) preserves (Anarchy in a Jar Strawberry Balsamic or Triple Berry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Powdered sugar, for dusting, optional
- In a large bowl, using a fork, stir together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt. Using your fingertips, work in the butter until the dough resembles coarse meal.
- Make a well in the center and add the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Gently blend the ingredients 1 tablespoon at a time until moist clumps form.
- Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk.
- Wrap the disk in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to an 11-inch round.
- Transfer the dough onto a heavy baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Stir the lemon juice into the preserve and spread the preserves on top of dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Fold the dough border over the filling to form an 8-inch round, pleating loosely and pinching to seal any cracks in the dough.
- Bake the crostata until the crust is golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with the almonds and dust with the powdered sugar, if you wish. Slide a metal spatula under the crust to free the crostata from the baking sheet and serve.