By: Victoria Amory
For the Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 ¼ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
For Hand Roll Filling:
- 2 tablespoons Hot Pink Mayonnaise
- 1-2 teaspoons of Sriracha (optional depending on how spicy you want your sushi)
- ½ lb. sushi-grade Ahi Tuna, cut into small dice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 6 toasted nori sheets
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1-2 scallions, chopped
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tablespoon ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Scallions for garnish
- Wash rice in a sieve until water runs clear. In a rice cooker, add the rice and the water and turn on (set to sushi rice if that is an option). Alternately, rice can be cooked on the stovetop over low heat with the cover on. Make sure to watch for when the water has all been evaporated off and turn off the heat.
- While rice is cooking, combine sugar, vegetable oil, rice wine vinegar and salt in a small saucepan. Heat gently until sugar dissolves and then set aside.
- When rice is cooked, stir the mixture into cooked rice until the rice is thoroughly coated. Cover and set aside to wait for the rice to come to room temperature. (Don’t refrigerate)
- In a small bowl, mix together Hot Pink Mayonnaise and sriracha (if using) until smooth. Add the Ahi Tuna and toss until the tuna is well coated. Salt to taste and toss once more.
- To assemble the hand roll: cut nori sheets into 4 inch squares. Place 2 tablespoons of rice on each square and spread across the sheet of nori, making sure to leave a small border. Arrange two slices of avocado and a heaped teaspoon of the tuna, along with strips of the julienned cucumber and sprinkling of scallions. Roll as tightly as you can, creating a cone shape by starting your roll at one of the lower corners and rolling up. Dampen the border slightly with water to help it seal shut.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, combine the ponzu sauce, soy sauce and top with some scallions.
- Serve hand rolls with wasabi and extra Hot Pink Mayonnaise.
Calm Before the Storm Cocktail
By: Beach House Teas Ingredients: Tea Base 2 tsp Beach House Teas signature Fog Horn Grey loose leaf tea Cocktai...
Green Goddess Dressing
By: Victoria Amory Ingredients: 4 anchovies ½ cup parsley leaves, packed ¼ cup tarragon, packed 2 tablespoons ch...
Vegan D'vash Banana Walnut Muffins
By: D'vash Organics Ingredients: 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 2 bananas 1/2 cup D’vash Dat...