By Clif Family
- 1 package pita bread, white or whole wheat
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp Clif Family Kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 jar Clif Family Everything Spice Blend, reserving 1 Tbsp for garnish
- 4-5 oz smoked salmon, sliced thin gravlax style
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 1 Tbsp shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Garnish with freshly snipped chives and reserved seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350F. Using a pizza cutter, cut pita pockets in half and then into 1-inch strips. Separate layers into large mixing bowl and drizzle with ½ cup olive oil and Everything seasoning to taste, tossing gently to coat.
- Arrange pita chips on baking trays in single layers with minimal overlap to ensure even cooking. Bake for 12-20 minutes checking often, removing some chips earlier than others if needed and returning trays to oven until all chips are completely crisp and golden-brown as you like. Allow the pita chips to cool completely before serving.
- To prepare the tartare, use a sharp knife to dice the smoked salmon slices into small pieces, transfer to mixing bowl. To un-clump the diced salmon, drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil and use a spatula to gently break up the pieces.
- Slice through the avocado lengthwise, separate and discard the seed. Use your knife’s tip to score each avocado half, making squares, and then scoop out the flesh with a spoon into a bowl.
- Drizzle all of the squares with final tablespoon of olive oil, the lemon juice, salt and minced shallot. Gently combine, keeping avocado squares mostly intact.
- In a clear serving dish (to reveal layers) spread half of the avocado mixture into a smooth layer, top with slightly less than half of the diced salmon. Add another two layers using the remaining avocado and salmon. Garnish the tartare with snipped chives and reserved Everything seasoning.
- Serve with pita chips and good company. Enjoy this crowd-pleasing appetizer with Clif Family Rosé of Grenache for a win-win.