By Clif Family
- 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and washed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and trimmed
- 2 cups farro, (from 1cup raw that has been cooked according to package directions) and cooled
- 2 cups fregola sarda, (from 1 cup raw that has been cooked according to package directions) and cooled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- Sea salt, to taste
- Lemon juice, fresh squeezed to taste
- 4 oz ricotta salata, crumbled
- Clif Family Extra Virgin Olive Oil, garnish to taste
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans (can substitute with other bean of your choice) in a small colander. In a medium-size mixing bowl prepare an ice bath. In a medium size pot of boiling water, blanch broccoli rabe about 2 minutes. Remove with tongs or slotted spoon and shock in ice water to stop cooking and preserve bright green color. Remove from ice water, squeeze excess moisture out and chop. Using the large side of a box grater, grate the carrot.
- In a large salad bowl combine the beans, broccoli rabe, carrot, cooked farro and fregola sarda, Take a small amount of the ¼ olive oil and pour over mixture and toss to combine and coat.
- Combine the garlic and chili flakes in the remaining olive oil in a small saucepan. Turn on low heat and slowly toast garlic until lightly golden brown, remove from heat and immediately toss into salad mixture to stop the cooking of the garlic.
- Dress with sea salt and lemon juice to taste. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and ricotta salata crumbles (if can not find, best substitute is Mexican Cotija cheese). Can garnish with other seasonal vegetables such as heirloom cherry tomatoes halves if desired.